Postgraduate Researcher Conference Support Fund
Postgraduate Research Students are eligible to apply for funding to attend international and UK conferences if they are presenting a paper, performance or other form of presentation (with the exception of poster presentations).
Successful applicants will receive a contribution to travel and accommodation costs up to a maximum of £250 for UK conferences and up to a maximum of £500 for overseas conferences.
Please note that due to high demand on this fund, fund is available to PGRs who:
- Are in their 2nd or 3rd year, or part time equivalent. The fund is not available to those in their first year, or the completion phase
- Have given a presentation at SPARC
- Have been accepted at a conference to give an oral presentation
To be eligible for funding you must:
- Be a PGR student in their second and third year (or part time equivalent). Applicants should first make use of any school funding available before applying to the PGR Conference Support Fund. Check with your supervisor and/or research support officer to see whether your school has discretionary funding to support PhD students with conference costs, and if so, how to access it.
- The fund can award up to one UK conference and one international conference per PGR student during the PhD lifespan (one in each financial year).
- Applicants must be presenting at the conference, and not just attending. Confirmation that the presentation has been accepted for the conference will be required with the application.
- Apply within the funding round. Three rounds a year are available.
- Give at least four weeks’ notice of the date of travel.
- Complete the online submission form in full.
- Produce a short seminar following attendance
Each funding pot is available for a limited period of time (usually around six weeks) and applications are only accepted within this period. If you submit an application outside of the funding period it will be rejected. The conference activity can take place outside of the period but must be within 3 months of the application deadline, the dates for the funding periods are:
|Funding Round||Funding opens||Funding closes||Conference deadline details|
|Funding round A||1st October||Closes 5pm, 15th November||for conferences taking place up to 15th February|
|Funding round B||15th January||Closes 5pm, 28th February||for conferences taking place up to 31st May|
|Funding round C||15th March||Closes 5pm, 28th April||for conferences taking place up to 30th July|
To submit an application, please read the guidance and submit the online application form here. Please remember to send a PDF of your receipt and confirmation of acceptance to present to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Doctoral School will supply PGR candidates (who have at least 6 months of their studies left to complete) with complimentary business cards. To qualify for this scheme candidates must have:
- Attended 3 training sessions on Communication Skills
- Attended 3 training sessions on Career Development
- Identified in their application how the cards will be used, e.g. conference networking, recruiting study participants.
There will be 2 windows of opportunity to request cards: during December – January and May – June each year, so please plan ahead!
Please be advised that funding is not available for conferences taking place between 31st July and 30th September and cannot be granted retrospectively.
Researchers are asked to seek alternative sources of funding during this period. A list of alternative funding sources have been provided:
Biomedical research - Boehringer Ingelheim Funds awards travel grants: http://bifonds.de/fellowships-grants/travel-grants/who-can-apply.html
Science, medical or biology students of Southeast Asian heritage across the world to help in the furthering of their education: http://stemcellthailand.org/scholarship/
Research awards and travel grants for projects with an interfaith component: http://www.spaldingtrust.org.uk/scope.htm
Assistance for research "in any aspect of Folklore Studies broadly defined" - purchase of materials or equipment, travel or fieldwork expenses: http://folklore-society.com/index.php/awards/the-estella-canziani-post-graduate-bursary-for-research/
Geomorphology - BSG members can get a contribution towards costs of research or to assist in presenting a paper or poster at a conference: http://geomorphology.org.uk/grants
- Awards from £100 to £2,000, as contributions to the cost of research which is substantially concerned with the history and practice of the British theatre: http://www.str.org.uk/research/awards/index.html
For Sudanese students studying for a postgraduate course in the UK, who intend to return to Sudan at the end of their studies:ht tp://www.gmctf.org/
Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology: Must be a citizen of an IDB member country, and a permanent employee of an academic institution or a research centre of his/her country: http://www.isdb.org/irj/portal/anonymous?NavigationTarget=navurl://c28c70fde436815fcff1257ef5982a08
Wellcome Trust Daniel Turnberg Travel Fellowships: This scheme offers short-term funding for biomedical researchers to travel between the UK and the Middle East to learn new techniques and develop academic collaborations.
Various bursaries to the value of £500 for UK and EU students: https://www.postgrad.com/fees_and_funding/postgrad_solutions_study_bursaries/information/
The Santander Universities Travel Award will support travel to the following countries, preferably at a Santander University Partner:
In the Americas: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, USA
In Europe: Belgium, Germany, Poland, Portugal, Spain, UK
In Asia: China, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, UAE
In Africa: Ghana
- The British Federation of Women Graduates offers a range of awards and prizes each year https://bfwg.org.uk/bfwg2/.
Learned societies and research charities often offer travel and conference support grants for their members or researchers. A full list of learned societies by discipline and country can be found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_learned_societies
If you have a link or are aware of a source of funding to add to the list, please email us at: email@example.com